Firmware Upgrade V2.0.X for Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera
Canon announces a new firmware upgrade for the EOS 7D. This firmware upgrade is a major one with significant improvements to several aspects of the 7D’s features. Unlike many other firmware updates, Canon is marketing this one, and in a way where this firmware update almost feels like a new camera release. As noted, the improvements are significant, and Canon could have probably released a new camera, so it is nice to see they are upgrading existing cameras with real feature improvements instead. The key features of this firmware update can be found below. For other feature improvements and more information, please visit the Canon EOS 7D Firmware Upgrade website. If you are looking to download the upgrade now, you’ll have to wait until early August when Canon makes it available.
Key Features of Canon EOS 7D V2.0.x Firmware Upgrade
- High Maximum Continuous Burst RateIt’s capable of shooting up to 130** JPEG Large/Fine and 25** RAW images at 8.0 frames per second, which is up from 126* JPEG Large/Fine and 15* RAW images at 8.0 fps. The remarkable shutter, combined with speedy and sophisticated electronics, ensures instant response and performance. A rapidly occurring scene can be captured moment by moment, second by second, so that even the briefest of opportunities are captured in perfect clarity.
* Figure based on ISO 100, Standard Picture Style and with UDMA CF memory card.
** Figure based on updated firmware, ISO 100, Standard Picture Style and with UDMA 7 CF memory cards. Note: UDMA 7 CF memory card read/write speeds are not fully supported with the EOS 7D Digital SLR camera, if using UDMA 7 memory cards, the read/write speeds will be equivalent to UDMA 6.
- Compatibility with Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2Installing Firmware Version 2.0.X makes the EOS 7D compatible with the Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2†. The GPS Receiver GP-E2 records location†† information such as longitude, latitude, elevation, and direction as EXIF data. It has a rugged, compact design, connects to the EOS 7D via USB and uses readily available AA batteries.
† When the EOS 7D is used with the GP-E2 the following restrictions will apply: a) geotagging function will not work for movies while recording; b) geotagging features will not work for movies when using the Map Utility; c) electronic compass information and automatic time setting is not available; d) transmission via the hot shoe is not possible.
†† In certain countries and regions, the use of GPS may be restricted. Therefore, be sure to use GPS in accordance with the laws and regulations of your country or region. Be particularly careful when traveling outside your home country. As a signal is received from GPS satellites, take sufficient measures when using in locations where the use of electronics is regulated.
- Manual Audio Level Adjustment for Video For the ultimate in custom audio when recording motion images, this firmware upgrade enables manual control of sound recording levels. The recording level can be manually adjusted to one of 64 levels, for precise, optimized audio. And to prevent mistakes in sound recording, an icon indicating manual sound recording is displayed on the info screen during video shooting.
- Maximum Limit for ISO Auto
Firmware Version 2.0.X also delivers customization over ISO Auto settings. When using M, P, TV, AV and B modes, users now have a choice of setting the maximum allowable ISO, up to ISO 6400. With more flexibility to shoot in diverse lighting situations, the EOS 7D will always optimize ISO settings to ensure the best possible exposure is recorded.